Re: BLOB performance test FYI

От Dave Cramer
Тема Re: BLOB performance test FYI
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Joe, Anders,

Please keep this discussion online. The more people we have looking at a
possible solution, the better.

Dave
On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 20:37, Joe Shevland wrote:
> > sites which
> > >
> > > Well, I disagree... even a few kilobytes has shown to be substandard in
> > > storing.
> >
> > Some of these problems aren't really about the datatypes themselves, but
> > how the driver handles them.
>
> Thats a good point; my issues have purely been through the JDBC driver interaction.
>
> > Instead of streaming large data into the
> > backend, the client reads them into memory before sending them.
> > It seems the LO parts of the driver has a different solution, that
> > streams the data directly.
> > It would take some major reworking of the JDBC driver to fix this. I've
> > looked at it, and concluded that it is possible, but that it was too big
> > for me to fix.
>
> I've got time (read: resigned a few weeks ago and am sick of hop-flavoured water ;) and wouldn't mind doing it; I
justneeded an indication that its possible. Would you mind giving me some hints about what you looked at offline?

> I figured that the differences in the types and how the backend handles them precludes actually trying to do anything
tooptimise the behaviour in the client interface. For example, can I use the socket connection when performing an
updateoperation to stream binary data to the backend, or does it expect the whole statement to be character data sent
atthe one time?

> What about other client interfaces and bytea types, how does the TCP/IP stuff go? C, Perl et al would still have
problemsloading binary data into memory too I would have thought unless they stream the data.

> I'll add some notes re: this discussion to http://www.j-elite.com/pgprimer sometime today or tomorrow in the BLOB
section,then put aside some time to put some real content into the rest of the site.

От: "Joe Shevland"
Сообщение: Re: BLOB performance test FYI
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: BLOB performance test FYI