Re: Can't get ODBC from Windows to Linux/Postgres to work

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: Can't get ODBC from Windows to Linux/Postgres to work
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 2002-03-12 at 01:51, Jeff Martin wrote:
> > Does pg_hba.conf allow TCP/IP access?
> I think the problem is here.  The documentation within the pg_hba.conf
> file suggests that all TCP/IP connections need to use IDENT authentication.
> I just turned on the ident deamon on the Linux box hosting the database,
> but still can't make the connection.  Anyone know more about ident
> authentication with the postgres database?

It is the remote (client) end of the connection that runs identd; in
this case, that is the Microsoft box.

    MS box ----->-- ODBC request ------> PostgreSQL server

      --<--------- ident request -----<---------

      -------->--- ident response ------>-------

         <--- connection refused --- No <- validation OK?

                                               Yes

      <----------- ODBC connection -----<-------

identd responds to a request to know who is trying to make the
connection.  It is inherently insecure, since you are depending on the
client end to tell the truth.  In the case of a Microsft system, that
seems very unwise!

Quite likely, in this case, the connection problem is because the
Microsoft box is not running an ident server.

     "And now abideth faith, hope, love, these three; but
      the greatest of these is love."
                            I Corinthians 13:13

От: Frank_Lupo Frank_Lupo
Сообщение: if possible execute a function a start/end connection session ?
От: "Art Nicewick"
Сообщение: Re: callable statement please