Re: should we enable log_checkpoints out of the box?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: should we enable log_checkpoints out of the box?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 2021-10-31 10:59:19 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> No DBA would be likely to consider it as anything but log spam.

> I don't agree at all. No postgres instance should be run without
> log_checkpoints enabled. Performance is poor if checkpoints are
> triggered by anything but time, and that can only be diagnosed if
> log_checkpoints is on.

This is complete nonsense.  If we think that's a generic problem, we
should be fixing the problem (ie, making the checkpointer smarter);
not expecting that DBAs will monitor their logs for an undocumented
issue.  The number of installations where that would actually happen
is epsilon compared to the number where it won't.