Re: Get rid of system attributes in pg_attribute?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Get rid of system attributes in pg_attribute?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> On Tuesday 22 February 2005 10:32, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Probably ctid is the more interesting case; I'm pretty sure ODBC relies
>> on ctid as a short-term-unique row identifier.

> Yeah... how many utility tools out there reference system columns explicitly?
> I think we need a scheme for allowing them to keep working even with user
> defined columns of the same name.

Well, that probably knocks out my thought that we could stop reserving
the system column names (at least ctid and xmin, which are the two that
actually seem useful to ordinary clients, need to stay reserved).  But
it still seems like we don't have to represent these columns explicitly
in pg_attribute.