Re: HASH index method not correctly handling NULL text

От Neil Conway
Тема Re: HASH index method not correctly handling NULL text
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, 2002-02-02 at 22:09, Tom Lane wrote:
> Neil Conway <nconway@klamath.dyndns.org> writes:
> >> The warning should be suppressed for hash indexes, since they don't
> >> include nulls.  I believe this is fixed in 7.2.
>
> > Is there a reason why hash indexes don't include NULLs?
>
> Nobody's got around to fixing them to do so.  AFAICS it should be easy
> enough to do; just assign a fixed hash code (zero, likely) for NULLs,
> and adjust the comparison routines to be NULL-conscious.

Okay, I'll take a look.

> But, as always, Postgres is a volunteer project, and the work that
> gets done is whatever someone is interested/motivated to work on.
> So if improving hash indexes is what floats your boat at the moment,
> then by all means go for it.

I was looking for a reasonably simple part of the backend to start
working on. If you know of an area that could use improvement, isn't too
complex and is more useful than hash indexes, please suggest it.

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>