Re: fixing LISTEN/NOTIFY

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: fixing LISTEN/NOTIFY
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Neil Conway" <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> Tom Lane said:
>> I'm inclined to preserve that behavior,
>> primarily because not doing so would create a tremendous penalty on
>> applications that expect it to work that way.

> What sort of application are you envisioning?

The ones that have a per-row trigger that does "NOTIFY foo".  In the
past this would deliver one event per transaction; changing that to one
per row is going to kill them.

I'm not very concerned about whether similar events issued by different
transactions are merged or not --- as you say, one could never rely on
that to happen anyway because of timing.  But one event per transaction
has been a reliable behavior and I think it would be bad to change it.