Re: Dereferenced pointers checked as NULL in btree_utils_var.c

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Dereferenced pointers checked as NULL in btree_utils_var.c
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Coverity is pointing out $subject, with the following stuff in gbt_var_same():
> As Heikki pointed me out on IM, the lack of crash report in this area,
> as well as similar coding style in cube/ seem to be sufficient
> arguments to simply remove those NULL checks instead of doing more
> solid checks on them. Patch is attached.

The way to form a convincing argument that these checks are unnecessary
would be to verify that (1) the SQL-accessible functions directly calling
gbt_var_same() are all marked STRICT, and (2) the core GIST code never
passes a NULL to these support functions.  I'm prepared to believe that
(1) and (2) are both true, but it merits checking.