Re: [HACKERS] Vacuum analyze bug CAUGHT

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Vacuum analyze bug CAUGHT
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Michael Simms <grim@argh.demon.co.uk> writes:
> Now, let me think for a moment:
> Vacuum works on each table inside a transaction
> The backend only reads the SI buffer when it starts a new transaction
> What then happens if vacuum is vacuuming a BIG table (such as 300,000
> lines) whilst another process is doing create and drop tables a lot.
> Wouldnt the buffer fill up, as it was never starting a transaction
> when vacuuming that big table?

Yup, could happen.  (I think it would take several hundred create/
drop cycles, but that's certainly possible during a long vacuum.)
That's why there's code to deal with the possibility of SI buffer
overrun.

But as I said, I'm not convinced you are dealing with an SI overrun
--- and the lack of messages about it seems to point away from that
theory.  I brought it up because it was a possible area for trouble.