Re: PostgreSQL win32 fragmentation issue

От Thomas H.
Тема Re: PostgreSQL win32 fragmentation issue
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 10:58:44PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>
>>> I know this isn't *our* fault :) but I am curious if there is anything
>>> we can do about the way postgresql writes files to help limit
>>> fragmentation.
>>>
>>> Essentially, this makes win32 impossible in a 24x7 environment (jokes
>>> aside about Win32 in general) because we *have* to defrag on Windows and
>>> Windows won't defrag open files (thus anything PostgreSQL is using).
>>>

>> BTW, do you know what 11% fragmentation means? Does that mean each file
>> is on average split in 9 pieces, because for a 1GB file, 9 pieces isn't
>> all that bad.

in our win32/ntfs environment, only 6 pgsql data-files are fragmented. but
they are heavily fragmented. fragmentiation ranges from 1369 fragments for a
14mb file to 4548 fragments for a 628mb one... the database is only 1 week
old.

- thomas

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL win32 fragmentation issue
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL win32 fragmentation issue