Re: [HACKERS] pdf versus single-html

От Erik Rijkers
Тема Re: [HACKERS] pdf versus single-html
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2017-01-21 17:12, Tom Lane wrote:
> Erik Rijkers <er@xs4all.nl> writes:
>> With the pdf increasingly in readability-decline (more and more text
>> parts fall off the (right) side of the page and quite a few tables
>> contain unreable bits) I would like to have a single page html.
>
> Given the size of our manual, I find it hard to believe that most
> readers would perform acceptably with that ... have you tried just
> concatenating all the parts manually and testing performance?

Yes, id did a straightforward concatenation; and it's really not a
problem: it comes to a 15 MB file (12 MB when skipping the release
pages).  Either size (in standard firefox) takes some time (seconds) but
scrolling and searching is no problem.

Maybe I wasn't clear: I wouldn't argue to make single-file the default
output, of course; just an option to choose if it's at all possible.

And even if such an option isn't deemed feasible I was hoping that
someone more xslt-knowledgeable than I am has some hints on how to
produce a single html file in the correct order and with link correctly
(self-)referencing.

I might figure it out myself - in that case will post here.

thanks,

Erik Rijkers