Big Memory Boxes and pgtune

От Warner, Gary, Jr
Тема Big Memory Boxes and pgtune
Дата
Re: Big Memory Boxes and pgtune
Список pgsql-performance
I've recently been blessed to move one of my databases onto a huge IBM P8 computer.   Its a power PC architecture with
208-way cores (so postgres SHOULD believe there are 160 cores available) and 1 TB of RAM.

I've always done my postgres tuning with a copy of "pgtune" which says in the output:

# WARNING
# this tool not being optimal
# for very high memory systems

So . . . what would I want to do differently based on the fact that I have a "very high memory system"?

Suggestions welcome!

(There are several different databases, mostly related to our work in social media and malware analytics.   The
databasesare smaller than available RAM.   Around 80 million social media profiles with 700M or so links, growing by
10%a week or so.  The malware database has extracted statistics and data about 17 million malware samples, growing by
about5% per week.   The Social Media side has just shy of 100 'fetchers' that insert/update (but don't delete.)   A few
humananalysts interact with the data, hitting some pretty heavy queries as they do link analysis and natural language
processing,but mostly the database use is the "fetchers")

Gary Warner, Director CETIFS      gar@uab.edu
Center for Emerging Technology Investigations Forensics & Security
The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB)
205.422.2113