Re: checkpointer and other server processes crashing

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: checkpointer and other server processes crashing
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2/15/21 1:50 PM, Joe Abbate wrote:
> On 15/2/21 16:29, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> On 2/15/21 1:15 PM, Joe Abbate wrote:
>>> We've been experiencing PG server process crashes about every other
>>> week on a mostly read only website (except for a single insert/update
>>> on page access).  Typical log entries look like
>>>
>>> LOG:  checkpointer process (PID 11200) was terminated by signal 9:
>>> Killed
>>> LOG:  terminating any other active server processes
>>
>> Have you looked at the system logs to see if the OOM killer is involved?
>
> No, I hadn't, but now I see that of the past three crashes, four
> postgres processes were OOM victims.  I guess I have to read the OOM
> articles I've been skipping (read one a long time ago).  If you have any
> specific suggestions, let me know.

There are suggestions here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/kernel-resources.html#LINUX-MEMORY-OVERCOMMIT

It probably would not hurt to figure why this seemed to happen with the
Python -> Go switch. Even if you can get the OOM not to kick in, the
fact that it was kicking in would indicate you now have memory hungry
processes that did not exist before. The questions being is this
strictly due to the language/framework change, natural growth of data
set being worked with, or something else?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com