Re: post-freeze damage control

От Andrei Lepikhov
Тема Re: post-freeze damage control
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 9/4/2024 12:55, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrei Lepikhov <a.lepikhov@postgrespro.ru> writes:
>>> * I really, really dislike jamming this logic into prepqual.c,
>>> where it has no business being.  I note that it was shoved
>>> into process_duplicate_ors without even the courtesy of
>>> expanding the header comment:
>
>> Yeah, I preferred to do it in parse_expr.c with the assumption of some
>> 'minimal' or 'canonical' tree form.
>
> That seems quite the wrong direction to me.  AFAICS, the argument
> for making this transformation depends on being able to convert
> to an indexscan condition, so I would try to apply it even later,
> when we have a set of restriction conditions to apply to a particular
> baserel.  (This would weaken the argument that we need hashing
> rather than naive equal() tests even further, I think.)  Applying
> the transform to join quals seems unlikely to be a win.
Our first prototype did this job right at the stage of index path
creation. Unfortunately, this approach was too narrow and expensive.
The most problematic cases we encountered were from BitmapOr paths: if
an incoming query has a significant number of OR clauses, the optimizer
spends a lot of time generating these, in most cases, senseless paths
(remember also memory allocated for that purpose). Imagine how much
worse the situation becomes when we scale it with partitions.
Another issue we resolved with this transformation: shorter list of
clauses speeds up planning and, sometimes, makes cardinality estimation
more accurate.
Moreover, it helps even SeqScan: attempting to find a value in the
hashed array is much faster than cycling a long-expression on each
incoming tuple.

One more idea that I have set aside here is that the planner can utilize
quick clause hashing:
 From time to time, in the mailing list, I see disputes on different
approaches to expression transformation/simplification/grouping, and
most of the time, it ends up with the problem of search complexity.
Clause hash can be a way to solve this, can't it?

--
regards,
Andrei Lepikhov

От: "Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)"
Сообщение: RE: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby
От: Stefan Fercot
Сообщение: Re: post-freeze damage control