Re: response time is very long in PG9.5.5 using psql or jdbc

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: response time is very long in PG9.5.5 using psql or jdbc
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs

On 02/13/2018 10:31 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2018-02-13 13:24:47 -0800, David Gould wrote:
>> I see this problem fairly frequently. Typically the problem catalog is
>> pg_attribute as it has the most rows. However the problem really arises when
>> the catalogs become bloated. Once the total size of the catalogs that get
>> read at start up approaches the size of shared buffers, and especially if
>> several processes start at the same time, it becomes quite noticeable.
>
> I can obviously see problems with a bloated catalog, but how does that
> cause massive slowdowns in *individual* queries as we see here?  The
> OP's problem isn't the connection establishment performance afaict, but
> the first query using specific pieces of catalog data. And that should
> be ok-ish performancewise, even if there's bloat.

What if the first connection does not actually go to PostgreSQL, but to
some sort of connection pool (like pgbouncer)? That would be consistent
with the observed behavior, I think - the first connection would likely
have to open connection to a backend, paying all the price.

Obviously, this is just a stab in the dark ...

regards