Re: Warning: database postgres must be vacuumed within 1000000 transactions

От tv@fuzzy.cz
Тема Re: Warning: database postgres must be vacuumed within 1000000 transactions
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> I got a big problem:
> Warning: database 'postgres' must be vacuumed within 1000000 transactions
> HINT: To avoid database shutdown, execute a full database vacuum  in
> 'postgres'
>
> Warning: database 'postgres' must be vacuumed within 999999 transactions
> HINT: To avoid database shutdown, execute a full database vacuum  in
> 'postgres'
>
> Warning: database 'postgres' must be vacuumed within 999998 transactions
> HINT: To avoid database shutdown, execute a full database vacuum  in
> 'postgres'
>
> Warning: database 'postgres' must be vacuumed within 999997 transactions
> HINT: To avoid database shutdown, execute a full database vacuum  in
> 'postgres'
>
> backend> vacuum
>

> Warning: database 'postgres' must be vacuumed within 999996 transactions
> HINT: To avoid database shutdown, execute a full database vacuum  in
> 'postgres'
>
> Warning: database 'postgres' must be vacuumed within 999995 transactions
> HINT: To avoid database shutdown, execute a full database vacuum  in
> 'postgres'
>
> its so slow!, i dont know what else to do, it will take 20 days to do it
> all, and i cant wait,
> help me please!

1) What version of PostgreSQL is this?

2) Have you been running autovacuum? If not, have you been running VACUUM
regularly? If both answers are "no" then there may ne a lot of "garbage"
that has to be cleaned up by VACUUM.

3) If the VACUUM is slow (although I'm not sure what exactly you mean by
this), you can try to change several parameters.

   a) maintenance_work_mem - default is 16MB, increasing it may improve
the VACUUM performance significantly

   b) vacuum_cost_delay / vacuum_cost_limit - there are several cost
variavbles related to vacuuming, it's usually enough to modify just
these two so that the VACUUM acts more aggresively (e.g. set the
cost_delay to zero, and it won't sleep at all)

regards
Tomas