Re: Why would I want to use connection pooling middleware?

От Kirk Strauser
Тема Re: Why would I want to use connection pooling middleware?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Jan 15, 2009, at 10:20 AM, Bill Moran wrote:

> I don't believe that's true.  My understanding of pgpool is that it
> will
> reuse an existing connection if it's free, or open a new one if
> required.

Gah!  It just made it worse!

$ ps auxwww | grep pgpool | grep dbuser | wc -l
       30
$ ps auxwww | grep postgres: | grep dbuser | wc -l
       38

So not only is it not sharing connections among clients, but it's
keeping old ones open too.  This isn't really what I had in mind.

Also, many of the applications are launched in the morning and open a
connection, then get used all day, then closed at the end of the
afternoon.  I'm starting to wonder if perhaps pgpool-II isn't what I
was looking for.
--
Kirk Strauser