Re: Connect without specifying a database?

От lists@mgreg.com
Тема Re: Connect without specifying a database?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Apr 11, 2009, at 1:49 PM, Sam Mason wrote:

As others have said; the design of PG is such that it's built to assume
you're always connected to exactly one database.  I'd guess this is an
artifact from a long time ago when PG didn't have multiple databases.

--
 Sam  http://samason.me.uk/

Yes, I believe that this gets at the heart of some of the issue.  I think there is some confusion on both sides.  Basically, I was under the impression that PG had some overarching database server to which one could connect without needing to specify a database.  While, yes, this might be "unremarkable", it is still an extra constraint for no *obvious* reason.  I could understand if it was an *option* based on the need for security, etc., but the strict enforcement of this paradigm seems a bit dated.  Perhaps the docs make reference as to why, and I simply haven't come across it yet.

That said, "psql" provides me with what I need for now.

Thanks,
Michael

Сообщение: Re: Connect without specifying a database?
Сообщение: Re: Connect without specifying a database?