Re: Problem with execution of an update rule

От Ken Winter
Тема Re: Problem with execution of an update rule
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Mark this one solved.  I finally stumbled across an old, forgotten e-mail
thread from 2006 where Tom Lane solved exactly this problem.  See
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2006-02/msg01039.php.

~ Thanks again, Tom!
~ Ken

and update rules.  My problem is that one of the commands in one of my
crucial update rules apparently never executes.

> Briefly, the history-keeping scheme involves:
>
> * Two tables: an "h table" that contains the columns for which we want to
preserve a full history of all updates, and an "i table" that contains
columns whose history we don't want to preserve.

> * A view of the two tables, showing all the columns of the h and I tables.

> * A set of rules that makes the view behave like a fully updatable table,
while invisibly preserving a copy of the record as it existed prior to each
update.

> The problem rule (see example in the "PS" below) is the one that fires
when the user issues a SQL UPDATE against the view.  This rule fires if the
UPDATE has changed any column value.  It is supposed to execute three
commands:

> 1. Insert a new record into the _h table, containing the old values of the
record being updated.  This is the record that preserves the prior state of
the record.

> 2. Update the existing h table record with the new values.
>
> 3. Update the existing i table record with the new values.
> The problem is that command 1 apparently never executes.  That is, in
response to an UPDATE against the view, a new h table record is NOT inserted
- even though data changes in both the h and the i table are successfully
recorded, and no error messages occur.

> I have tried changing the order of the 3 commands in the rule - no effect.

> Can you tell me what's wrong with this picture?
>
> ~ TIA
> ~ Ken
>
> PS:
> This example involves a view named "people", an h table named "people_h"
(including columns "first_name" and "last_name"), an i table named
"people_i" (including column "birth_date"), a sequence-assigned identifier
"people_id" in both tables, some "effective" and "expiration" timestamps in
"people_h", and some rules including this troublesome one:

От: Yan Cheng Cheok
Сообщение: Re: Primary Key Increment Doesn't Seem Correct Under Table Partition
От: Jayadevan M
Сообщение: Re: general questions postgresql performance config