Re: BEGIN, END & ROLLBACK commands -- do they produce a SQLSTATE value?

От Steve Petrie, P.Eng.
Тема Re: BEGIN, END & ROLLBACK commands -- do they produce a SQLSTATE value?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello Rob,

Thanks for your prompt response -- much appreciated.

I actually re-submitted my questions to <pgsql-novice@postgresql.org> with a
correction. After the "BEGIN;" query and the pg_get_result(...); all calls
to function pg_result_error_field(...) are returning type NULL (not type
boolean, as I reported erroneously in my post to
<pgsql-general@postgresql.org>).

* * *
* * *

[RS]
I'm a Linux user. However, libpq version 8.4.1 doesn't jell with version 9.3
of PostgreSql

[SP]
OK, so presumably I need to upgrade the libpq, to something compatible with
version 9.3 of PostgreSql?

* * *
* * *

[RS]
So, are you trying to obtain the failure "reason" when a "BEGIN", "COMMIT"
or "ROLLBACK" fails?

[SP]
Actually no, I don't believe that the "BEGIN;" query is failing. My question
is whether or not the "BEGIN;" query result should provide a SQLSTATE value
that I can test, as an additional check on the success / failure of the
"BEGIN;" query.

Until I received your posting (that "libpq version 8.4.1 doesn't jell with
version 9.3 of PostgreSql"), I was pretty sure that the "BEGIN;" query is
working OK, because:

$sql_conn = pg_connect(...); // returns a value of type resource.
pg_connection_status($sql_conn); // returns an integer type with a value ==
0 (PGSQL_CONNECTION_OK).
pg_send_query($sql_conn, 'BEGIN;'); // returns a boolean type with a value
== TRUE.
$sql_transaction_status = pg_transaction_status($sql_conn); // returns an
integer type with a value == 1 (PGSQL_TRANSACTION_ACTIVE).
$sql_result = pg_get_result($sql_conn); // returns a value of type resource.
$sql_result_status_long = pg_result_status($sql_result, PGSQL_STATUS_LONG);
// returns an integer type with a value == 1 (PGSQL_COMMAND_OK).
$sql_result_status_string = pg_result_status($sql_result,
PGSQL_STATUS_STRING); // returns a string result with a value == 'BEGIN'.
$sql_result_error = pg_result_error($sql_result); // returns a string result
with a value == '' (empty string).

All the above seem to me -- the PostgreSQL novice -- to indicate that the
"BEGIN;" query is working OK

* * *

However, I was also trying to use SQLSTATE as an additional check on the
success / failure of the "BEGIN;" query, but it appears to me that there is
no SQLSTATE value available in the result returned by the "BEGIN;" query:

$sql_state = pg_result_error_field($sql_result, PGSQL_DIAG_SQLSTATE); //
returns a NULL type , instead of a string type with a SQLSTATE value.

So my question was -- should there be a SQLSTATE available, in the result
returned by the "BEGIN;" query?

* * *
* * *

Now however, based on your posting (that "libpq version 8.4.1 doesn't jell
with version 9.3 of PostgreSql") I will upgrade the libpq version to be
compatible with version 9.3 of PostgreSql, and then re-try the "BEGIN;"
query and see if there is a SQLSTATE value available in the result.

Thanks Again and Regards,

Steve