Re: Faster distinct query?

От Israel Brewster
Тема Re: Faster distinct query?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sep 23, 2021, at 4:34 AM, Ryan Booz <ryan@timescale.com> wrote:

Heh, I honestly forgot about the recursive CTE. Certainly worth a try and wouldn't require installing other extensions.

This is what depesz is referring to: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Loose_indexscan

Thanks for the pointer. Will definitely have to spend some time wrapping my brain around that one - I’ve done some CTE’s before, but not recursive that I can recall. Should be fun!

If it helps matters any, my structure is currently the following:

table “stations” listing station details (name, latitude, longitude, etc) with a smallint primary key “id"
table “data” with many (many!) data columns (mostly doubles), a station column that is a smallint referencing the stations table, and a channel column which is a varchar containing the *name* of the channel the data came in on.

I will readily accept that this may not be the best structure for the DB. For example, perhaps the channel column should be normalized out as has been mentioned a couple of times as an option. This would make sense, and would certainly simplify this portion of the project.

If I do go with a lookup table updated by a trigger, what would be the best option for the query the trigger runs - an upset (ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING)? Or a query followed by an insert if needed? The normal case would be that the entry already exists (millions of hits vs only the occasional insert needed).

Thanks again for all the suggestions!
---
Israel Brewster
Software Engineer
Alaska Volcano Observatory
Geophysical Institute - UAF
2156 Koyukuk Drive
Fairbanks AK 99775-7320
Work: 907-474-5172
cell:  907-328-9145

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 3:04 AM hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz@depesz.com> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 12:05:22PM -0800, Israel Brewster wrote:
> I was wondering if there was any way to improve the performance of this query:
>
> SELECT station,array_agg(distinct(channel)) as channels FROM data GROUP BY station;
>
> The explain execution plan can be found here:
> https://explain.depesz.com/s/mtxB#html <https://explain.depesz.com/s/mtxB#html>
>
> and it looks pretty straight forward. It does an index_only scan, followed by an aggregate, to produce a result that is a list of stations along with a list of channels associated with each (there can be anywhere from 1 to 3 channels associated with each station). This query takes around 5 minutes to run.
>
> To work around the issue, I created a materialized view that I can update periodically, and of course I can query said view in no time flat. However, I’m concerned that as the dataset grows, the time it takes to refresh the view will also grow (correct me if I am wrong there).
>
> This is running PostgreSQL 13, and the index referenced is a two-column index on data(station, channel)

It looks that there is ~ 170 stations, and ~ 800 million rows int he
table.

can you tell us how many rows has this:

select distinct station, channel from data;

If this is not huge, then you can make the query run much faster using
skip scan - recursive cte.

Best regards,

depesz