Re: Raid 5 vs Raid 10 Benchmarks Using bonnie++

От Ogden
Тема Re: Raid 5 vs Raid 10 Benchmarks Using bonnie++
Дата
Re: Raid 5 vs Raid 10 Benchmarks Using bonnie++
Список pgsql-performance
On Aug 17, 2011, at 1:48 PM, Andy Colson wrote:

> On 8/17/2011 1:35 PM, ktm@rice.edu wrote:

configuredwith RAID 10. The drives are the same (SAS 15K). I tried the new system with ext3 and then XFS but the
resultsseem really outrageous as compared to the current system, or am I reading things wrong?

>>> But such a jump from the current db01 system to this? Over 20 times difference from the current system to the new
onewith XFS. Is that much of a jump normal?

>>> Ogden
>>
>> Yes, RAID5 is bad for in many ways. XFS is much better than EXT3. You would get similar
>> results with EXT4 as well, I suspect, although you did not test that.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ken
>>

> A while back I tested ext3 and xfs myself and found xfs performs better for PG.  However, I also have a photos site
with100K files (split into a small subset of directories), and xfs sucks bad on it.

> So my db is on xfs, and my photos are on ext4.

What about the OS itself? I put the Debian linux sysem also on XFS but haven't played around with it too much. Is it
betterto put the OS itself on ext4 and the /var/lib/pgsql partition on XFS?

Thanks

Ogden

От: Andy Colson
Сообщение: Re: Raid 5 vs Raid 10 Benchmarks Using bonnie++
От: Ogden
Сообщение: Re: Raid 5 vs Raid 10 Benchmarks Using bonnie++