Re: Template zero xid issue

От Keaton Adams
Тема Re: Template zero xid issue
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Auto vacuum is not enabled:

----
# AUTOVACUUM PARAMETERS
----

#autovacuum = off                       # enable autovacuum subprocess?
#autovacuum_naptime = 60                # time between autovacuum runs,
in secs
#autovacuum_vacuum_threshold = 1000     # min # of tuple updates before
                                        # vacuum
#autovacuum_analyze_threshold = 500     # min # of tuple updates before
                                        # analyze
#autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor = 0.4   # fraction of rel size before
                                        # vacuum
#autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor = 0.2  # fraction of rel size before
                                        # analyze
#autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay = -1      # default vacuum cost delay for
                                        # autovac, -1 means use
                                        # vacuum_cost_delay
#autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit = -1      # default vacuum cost limit for
                                        # autovac, -1 means use
                                        # vacuum_cost_limit

Instead, the vacuumdb command is run on the DBs to perform a full DB
vacuum every Saturday. The DB template0 is skipped by the vacuumdb
process, according to the output:

/xyz/var/pgsql/bin/vacuumdb -a -z -U postgres
vacuumdb: vacuuming database "postgres"
VACUUM
vacuumdb: vacuuming database "mxl"
VACUUM
vacuumdb: vacuuming database "template1"
VACUUM

1. Ops has a job that monitors datfrozenxid. An event was triggered this
morning because the count on template0 was approaching the limit.  I
don't have the original output, but it looked something like this:

mxl=# select datname, age(datfrozenxid) from pg_database;
   datname    |    age
--------------+------------
 postgres     | 1478038975
 mxl_survey   | 1478038263
 mxl          | 1478036889
 template1    | 1478010730
 template0    | 2146747335

2. As we were attempting to figure out why this was the case, Postgres
stopped accepting commands, as reported in the log:

<2007-08-06 09:42:50 MDT>ERROR:  database is not accepting commands to
avoid wraparound data loss in database "template0"
<2007-08-06 09:42:50 MDT>HINT:  Stop the postmaster and use a standalone
backend to vacuum database "template0".

3. One of the admins initiated a shutdown request to the DB.  The
shutdown was NOT automatically done by Postgres as I had originally
stated, but it became necessary nonetheless:

<2007-08-06 09:44:05 MDT>LOG:  received fast shutdown request
<2007-08-06 09:44:05 MDT>LOG:  aborting any active transactions
<2007-08-06 09:44:05 MDT>FATAL:  terminating connection due to
administrator command
<2007-08-06 09:44:05 MDT>FATAL:  terminating connection due to
administrator command
<2007-08-06 09:44:05 MDT>FATAL:  terminating connection due to
administrator command

4. During the shutdown we continued to receive these messages in the
log:

<2007-08-06 09:44:08 MDT>LOG:  transaction ID wrap limit is 2147484146,
limited by database "template0"
<2007-08-06 09:44:08 MDT>WARNING:  database "template0" must be vacuumed
within 736811 transactions
<2007-08-06 09:44:08 MDT>HINT:  To avoid a database shutdown, execute a
full-database VACUUM in "template0".

5. Once the DB was down, a standalone backend was used to execute a
vacuum against template0:

sudo -u postgres /mxl/var/pgsql/bin/postgres -D /mxl/var/pgsql/data -O
-P template0

>VACUUM VERBOSE ANALYZE;

6. The DB started successfully and normal operations resumed.

We do have a second 8.1.4 DB running the same type of transaction load
and the datfrozenxid query shows template0 having a larger 'age' value
than any of the other databases in the cluster:

postgres=# select datname, age(datfrozenxid) from pg_database;
   datname    |    age
--------------+------------
 postgres     | 1108184564
 mxl          | 1108182478
 template1    | 1108156319
 template0    | 1497605405

So before it grows into the 2.1 billion value we'll need to do a manual
reset of the FrozenXID on this DB as well.

Of course, we are looking into an 8.1.9 upgrade to avoid this problem in
the future.

Thanks,

Keaton