RE: reloption to prevent VACUUM from truncating empty pages at theend of relation

От Tsunakawa, Takayuki
Тема RE: reloption to prevent VACUUM from truncating empty pages at theend of relation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
From: Michael Paquier [mailto:michael@paquier.xyz]
> On Fri, Feb 01, 2019 at 09:11:50AM +0100, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> > Perhaps "vacuum_shrink_enabled" would be even better.
>
> Naming it just vacuum_truncate and autovacuum_truncate (with aliases for
> toast and such), looks more natural to me.  "shrink" is not a term used
> in the code at all to describe this phase of vacuuming, and this option
> talks mainly to people who are experts in PostgreSQL internals in my opinion.

FYI, it seems that the user sees "shrink" rather than "truncate" in the documentation as below, although these are
aboutVACUUM FULL.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/sql-vacuum.html
would like the table to physically shrink to occupy less disk space

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/routine-vacuuming.html
shrink a table back to its minimum size and return the disk space to the operating system,

Anyway, I don't have any favor about naming this, and I hope native English speakers will choose the best name.  I
won'tobject to whatever name any committer chooses.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa