RE: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) andKey Management Service (KMS)

От Tsunakawa, Takayuki
Тема RE: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) andKey Management Service (KMS)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
From: Bruce Momjian [mailto:bruce@momjian.us]
> On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 08:41:46PM +0900, Moon, Insung wrote:
> > BTW, I want to support CBC mode encryption[3]. However, I'm not sure how
> to use the IV in CBC mode for this proposal.
> > I'd like to hear opinions by security engineer.
>
> Well, CBC makes sense, and since AES uses a 16 byte block size, you
> would start with the initialization vector (IV) and run over the 8k page
> 512 times.  The IV can be any random value that is not repeated, and
> does not need to be secret.

XTS is faster and more secure.  XTS seems to be the standard now:

https://www.truecrypt71a.com/documentation/technical-details/encryption-scheme/
"c.Mode of operation: XTS, LRW (deprecated/legacy), CBC (deprecated/legacy)"

Microsoft Introduces AES-XTS to BitLocker in Windows 10 Version 1511
https://www.petri.com/microsoft-introduces-aes-xts-to-bitlocker-in-windows-10-version-1511

> However, using the same IV for the entire table would mean that people
> can detect if two pages in the same table contain the same data.  You
> might care about that, or you might not.  It would prevent detection of
> two _tables_ containing the same 8k page.  A more secure solution would
> be to use a different IV for each 8k page.
>
> The cleanest idea would be for the per-table IV to be stored per table,
> but the IV used for each block to be a mixture of the table's IV and the
> page's offset in the table.

TrueCrypt uses the 8-byte sector number for the 16-byte tweak value for XTS when encrypting each sector.  Maybe we can
justuse the page number.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa