Re: [PoC] Reducing planning time when tables have many partitions

От Lepikhov Andrei
Тема Re: [PoC] Reducing planning time when tables have many partitions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 20, 2023, at 5:04 PM, Yuya Watari wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2023 at 5:21 PM Andrey Lepikhov
> <a.lepikhov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
>> Working on self-join removal in the thread [1] nearby, I stuck into the
>> problem, which made an additional argument to work in this new direction
>> than a couple of previous ones.
>> With indexing positions in the list of equivalence members, we make some
>> optimizations like join elimination more complicated - it may need to
>> remove some clauses and equivalence class members.
>> For changing lists of derives or ec_members, we should go through all
>> the index lists and fix them, which is a non-trivial operation.
>
> Thank you for looking into this and pointing that out. I understand
> that this problem will occur somewhere like your patch [1] quoted
> below because we need to modify RelOptInfo->eclass_child_members in
> addition to ec_members. Is my understanding correct? (Of course, I
> know ec_[no]rel_members, but I doubt we need them.)

It is okay if we talk about the self-join-removal feature specifically because joins are removed before an inheritance
expansion.
But ec_source_indexes and ec_derive_indexes point to specific places in eq_sources and eq_derives lists. If I removed
anEquivalenceClass or a restriction during an optimisation, I would arrange all indexes, too.
Right now, I use a workaround here and remove the index link without removing the element from the list. But I'm not
surehow good this approach can be in perspective.
So, having eq_sources and eq_derives localised in EC could make such optimisations a bit more simple.

--
Regards,
Andrei Lepikhov