RE: Simple Question: Case sensitivity

От Hancock, David (DHANCOCK)
Тема RE: Simple Question: Case sensitivity
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Abe: It's an SQL thing or a scripting thing.  It's probably easiest and
safest in the SQL:

   select firstname, surname from employees
      where upper(firstname) like upper('%$criteria%') or
      upper(surname) like upper('%$criteria%')

That is, force the column and the search string to uppercase befor
comparing, and it won't matter how it's stored in the database.

Cheers!
--
David Hancock

-----Original Message-----
From: Abe
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Sent: 12/10/00 7:23 AM
Subject: [GENERAL] Simple Question: Case sensitivity

This is probably an easy question for most but here goes:

I am using PHP3 and postgres 6.5

I am trying to do a search on a peoples database and it works fine
except
for the fact that I want to make it case insensitive as some in the
database
are Smith and some are jones.  Is this a scripting thing or can it be
done
in my query.

Here is the query:

$sql = "select surname, firstname, title, company, worktel, ext,
hometel,
mobile, email, emailtwo from employees where firstname like
'%$criteria%' or
surname like '%$criteria%'";

Thanks in advance,
Abe