Re: Pet Peeves

От Adam Rich
Тема Re: Pet Peeves
Дата
Re: Pet Peeves  (Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 13:16:17 +0000
Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> So, what do people say? Is Postgres perfect in your world or does it
> do some things which rub you the wrong way?

I see all the major ones have already been mentioned, so here's some
minor ones.

- lack of system-level and DDL triggers
- inability to limit triggers to certain columns
- inability to know the DML operation causing a trigger
- date_part/extract returning floats instead of integer
- parts of the SQL statement (e.g. 'for update of') requiring table
    aliases when present instead of table names.
- lack of queryable high-water marks useful for tuning
- lack of an auto-tuner, for that matter.
- inability to log (e.g. long-running queries) to a table
- lack of custom session-level variables (without editing postgresql.conf)
- lack of autonomous transactions