Re: creating extension including dependencies

От Vladimir Borodin
Тема Re: creating extension including dependencies
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

10 июля 2015 г., в 16:09, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> написал(а):

On 07/09/2015 07:05 PM, Petr Jelinek wrote:
On 2015-07-07 15:41, Andres Freund wrote:
On 2015-07-07 22:36:29 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 7:50 AM, Petr Jelinek <petr@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Hi,

I am getting tired installing manually required extensions manually. I was
wondering if we might want to add option to CREATE SEQUENCE that would allow
automatic creation of the extensions required by the extension that is being
installed by the user.

I'm wondering how much helpful this feature is. Because, even if we can save
some steps for CREATE EXTENSION by using the feature, we still need to
manually find out, download and install all the extensions that the target
extension depends on. So isn't it better to implement the tool like yum, i.e.,
which performs all those steps almost automatically, rather than the proposed
feature? Maybe it's outside PostgreSQL core.

That doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Something like yum can't
install everything in all relevant databases. Sure, yum will be used to
install dependencies between extensions on the filesystem level.

At the minimum I'd like to see that CREATE EXTENSION foo; would install
install extension 'bar' if foo dependended on 'bar' if CASCADE is
specified. Right now we always error out saying that the dependency on
'bar' is not fullfilled - not particularly helpful.

That's what the proposed patch does (with slightly different syntax but
syntax is something that can be changed easily).

This seems quite reasonable, but I have to ask: How many extensions are there out there that depend on another extension? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any..

pg_stat_kcache depends on pg_stat_statements, for example.

- Heikki