RE: Order by email address by domain ?

От Jeff Eckermann
Тема RE: Order by email address by domain ?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
???
I don't think anyone suggested adding a new builtin function.
Yes, your suggestion is good for an occasional use.
Where this kind of functionality is likely to be needed on a continuing
basis, my experience is that wrapping the code up in a custom function is
easier and cleaner than writing it out every time.  Saves a lot of typing,
not to mention the risk of typos (which could give spurious results without
being obvious about it).  Also, a function allows for indexing on that
value, which can be a great aid to performance.
I have found that sometimes it is better to just add a column or two to the
table to contain the needed key, because with large amounts of data that can
be much quicker.  Doing this too much though can lead to a cluttered
database, and a loss of clarity about just what all of those extra fields
are for...  It's a judgement call.
Just my $0.01 (That's $0.02 Australian :-))

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: