Re: Major problem with custom data type

От Morgan Kita
Тема Re: Major problem with custom data type
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

>There's nothing obviously wrong in what you posted ... other than the
>very poor style of misspelling "VARHDRSZ" as "4", not using VARDATA and
>VARATT_SIZEP macros, and generally doing your best to ignore every one
>of the portability conventions that are built into the Postgres
>sources.  This code *will* break at some point in the future, but
>it's not immediately obvious why it's not broken on a typical
>present-day 32-bit-Intel platform.  (Now if that's not what you are
>running on, maybe you should mention it...)

>When there's nothing broken in what you're looking at, that's usually a
>good sign that the problem is elsewhere.  Could you post a complete
>non-working example rather than just extracts?

Hmm I was not aware of those macros, or that I was breaking portability conventions for postgres. If you could direct
meas to where I could read up on these things, I would be more than willing to learn about them.

I actually figured my own problem out, thank you for pointing out that is was likely not in the code, I found I was
missingone of the declaration statements needed by postgres.

Once again any links to where I can read up on postgres coding conventions would be great as I have to write a few more
ofthese custom data types. I have read through the manual but I am guessing that I missed a section.

Thanks,
Morgan