Re: Synthesize support for Statement.getGeneratedKeys()?

От Dave Cramer
Тема Re: Synthesize support for Statement.getGeneratedKeys()?
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
On 23-Jan-07, at 2:00 AM, Ken Johanson wrote:

> I think that, given everyone's input (including Vit's, thanks) and
> mention of possible variation on query, possible need to parse for
> table/column names, and/or need to call database metadata / or
> result set metadata (to get keys?) (which require another trip to
> the server?)... this might be out of my league. Well, even if I did
> get it working, it likely would not work in every case (triggers
> etc), and would eventually be replaced when V4 protocol comes around.
>
> Unless one of the PG folks can prescribe, in exact terms, the very
> best way to execute this (after which I would build out the actual
> patch)... then I may have to bow out of this (it's complex / error
> prone enough to frighten lil'ol me, and time is a bit short on my
> end too I'm afraid).

If we can implement the one which does specify the keys that would be
useful. Statement.getGeneratedKeys( columns )

> Perhaps it's better for everyone if we lobby to have the backend/
> protocol to add this natively (as you all have suggested). So..
>
> Does anyone know if the actual server core natively has the ability
> to build created-keys resultsets (without having to modify the
> query / RETURNS), or is this truly a protocl bottleneck?...

I don't know for absolute certainty but I highly suspect that it
does, since it can return the columns returned via insert returning

Dave

От: Ken Johanson
Сообщение: Re: Synthesize support for Statement.getGeneratedKeys()?
От: Marc
Сообщение: Applet Connectivity - PLEASE help