RE: INSERT Trigger to check for existing records : Does this do what I hope it is doing?

От
Тема RE: INSERT Trigger to check for existing records : Does this do what I hope it is doing?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
[Hagen] Answers inline

-----Original Message-----
From: Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 10:13 AM
To: hagen@datasundae.com; pgsql-general@lists.postgresql.org
Subject: Re: INSERT Trigger to check for existing records : Does this do what I hope it is doing?

On 11/25/20 8:43 AM, hagen@datasundae.com wrote:
> Adrian,
>
> Thanks for your detailed response. That's very kind and much appreciated.
>
> 1. OK that's just me groping for a RETURN statement that doesn't throw a rod.

Things can still work, sort of. I once cranked up and ran(for a short
time) a JD 4020 that had a rod coming through the block. It was smoky and rough, but it ran. OT I know but that image
cameback clear as day.

I don't actually need to return anything as the goal of the FUNCTION (for the moment)  is to perform updates to a
table.It might be nice to return some sort of confirmation but it's not necessary. Apparently I don't fully understand
theRETURN concept (oh really? 😉. Any suggestions where to research or read?

> 2. I have two tables:
>     a) sfdc which is the baseline - doesn't change -  isn't updated by this FUNTION
>     b) hygiene_119 a new table which has some records (~80%) which are identical to those already in sfdc.
>
> The logic flow is:
>         i) SELECT the dealids from hygiene_119 (latest or new  report dated
> 11/9)

Not seeing where that is done?

[Hagen] I was hoping to do the SELECT from hygiene_119 when I called the FUNCTION same_test() by SELECTING
hygiene_119.dealidand then using that list as an input via same_test (hygiene_119.dealid)

[Hagen] SELECT dealid sametest(dealid) FROM hygiene_123; (more precisely SELECT hygiene_119.dealid,
same_test(hygiene_119.dealid)FROM hygiene_119;  ).

>         ii) compare those hygiene_119.dealids with the existing sfdc.dealids
> -  hence the IF $1 (one result from the hygiene_119.dealdid SELECT) is
> IN (matches) any of the sfdc.dealids THEN

Again not seeing any comparison to sfdc?

[Hagen] Assuming the same_test(hygiene_119.dealid) call worked - IF $1 = hygiene_119.dealid[0] in python array
vernacularwould be compared against the list of the SELECT sfdc.dealid results.

[Hagen] Spelling it out more clearly isn't exactly boosting my confidence in my approach 😉

>         iii) UPDATE hygiene_119 SET status = 'SAME' WHERE dealid = $1; --flag that hygiene_119 record as the SAME or
aduplicate record
>         iv) ELSE UPDATE hygiene_119 SET status = 'NEW' WHERE dealid = $1; --flag that hygiene_119 record as NEW  or a
newrecord
>     Once I have inspected the "NEW" records in hygiene_119 I will INSERT then into sfdc. Then rinse and repeat each
weekwith a new report.

Until the previous questions are addressed the above is not doable.

> 3. Not positive the IF is doing what I want,  but if I copy a sfdc.dealid into the same_test() parameter field the
FUNTIONdoes update the hygiene_119.status field properly. To me, it appears I just need a way to iterate through and
insertone hygiene_119.dealid in the same_test parameter field. Then the UPDATE should flag all the hygiene_119 records
asSAME or NEW. Obviously I don't REALLY need both flags as the absence of a flag would indicate status too.

Before continuing with the function I would try some SELECT functions that do what you want.

> Does that articulate the thought process adequately?
>
> Best,
>
> Hagen

rowin hygiene_119 that matches one in hygiene_112. Given that you setting a 'NEW' flag I'm guessing that is not the
case.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: INSERT Trigger to check for existing records : Does this do what I hope it is doing?
От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: INSERT Trigger to check for existing records : Does this do what I hope it is doing?