RE: INSERT Trigger to check for existing records : Does this do what I hope it is doing?

От
Тема RE: INSERT Trigger to check for existing records : Does this do what I hope it is doing?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Adrian,

Thanks for your detailed response. That's very kind and much appreciated.

1. OK that's just me groping for a RETURN statement that doesn't throw a rod. I don't actually need to return anything
asthe goal of the FUNCTION (for the moment)  is to perform updates to a table. It might be nice to return some sort of
confirmationbut it's not necessary. Apparently I don't fully understand the RETURN concept (oh really? 😉. Any
suggestionswhere to research or read?

2. I have two tables:
    a) sfdc which is the baseline - doesn't change -  isn't updated by this FUNTION
    b) hygiene_119 a new table which has some records (~80%) which are identical to those already in sfdc.

The logic flow is:
        i) SELECT the dealids from hygiene_119 (latest or new  report dated 11/9)
        ii) compare those hygiene_119.dealids with the existing sfdc.dealids  -  hence the IF $1 (one result from the
hygiene_119.dealdidSELECT) is IN (matches) any of the sfdc.dealids THEN
        iii) UPDATE hygiene_119 SET status = 'SAME' WHERE dealid = $1; --flag that hygiene_119 record as the SAME or a
duplicaterecord
        iv) ELSE UPDATE hygiene_119 SET status = 'NEW' WHERE dealid = $1; --flag that hygiene_119 record as NEW  or a
newrecord
    Once I have inspected the "NEW" records in hygiene_119 I will INSERT then into sfdc. Then rinse and repeat each
weekwith a new report.

3. Not positive the IF is doing what I want,  but if I copy a sfdc.dealid into the same_test() parameter field the
FUNTIONdoes update the hygiene_119.status field properly. To me, it appears I just need a way to iterate through and
insertone hygiene_119.dealid in the same_test parameter field. Then the UPDATE should flag all the hygiene_119 records
asSAME or NEW. Obviously I don't REALLY need both flags as the absence of a flag would indicate status too.

Does that articulate the thought process adequately?

Best,

Hagen