Re: Just for fun: Postgres 20?

От Ray O'Donnell
Тема Re: Just for fun: Postgres 20?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/02/2020 21:10, David Fetter wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 05:25:15PM +0100, Juan José Santamaría Flecha wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 3:47 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>

>>> Yeah; I don't think it's *that* unlikely for it to happen again.  But
>>> my own principal concern about this mirrors what somebody else already
>>> pointed out: the one-major-release-per-year schedule is not engraved on
>>> any stone tablets.  So I don't want to go to a release numbering system
>>> that depends on us doing it that way for the rest of time.
>>>

>> We could you use YYYY as version identifier, so people will not expect
>> correlative numbering. SQL Server is being released every couple of years
>> and they are using this naming shema. The problem would be releasing twice
>> the same year, but how likely would that be?
>
> We've released more than one major version in a year before, so we
> have a track record of that actually happening.

Besides what everyone else has said, it's not that long since the
numbering scheme was changed for major versions. Changing it again so
soon would, IMHO, look confused at best.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell // Galway // Ireland
ray@rodonnell.ie

Сообщение: Re: Just for fun: Postgres 20?
Сообщение: Re: Just for fun: Postgres 20?