Re: Pervasive PostgreSQL Announcement

От Lance Obermeyer
Тема Re: Pervasive PostgreSQL Announcement
Дата
Re: Pervasive PostgreSQL Announcement  (Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca>)
Список pgsql-advocacy
Since this seems to have stuck a nerve, let me try and explain a bit more behind the naming decision.

Many posters seem to prefer if I would have named my product "Pervasive PostgreSQL."  To be honest, I agree.  That was
preferable. However, the inescapable fact is that "PostgreSQL" is a registered trademark owned by somebody else.
UnlessI hold a signed license from the trademark holder, I would be knowingly infringing upon somebody else's property
right. That opens me to legal liability of unknowable scale.  There are public posts in the advocacy group essentially
pledgingto not try and enforce the trademark against groups like Pervasive.  Those posts are legally unpersuasive.
Thereare others using the trademark presumably without license.  That does not preclude the trademark holder sending me
(orthem) a cease and desist letter, it only makes it easier for me to defend myself.

The bottom line is that there is a risk, albeit small, that my company, as well as other companies using the word,
couldget dragged into court to explain why it knowingly infringed on a registered trademark.  That risk is
significantlyless with the word "Postgres" since it is not a registered trademark.  Contrary to popular opinion,
companiesdesperately want to avoid going to court, and we always take the less risky path.  So, had there been a
mechanismin place to solve this above similar to what Linus has done with the Linux Mark Institute, we wouldn't be
here.

While I sense there is a desire to paint my intentions as "evil", I can only ask you to believe that it isn't the case.
My decisions have been an honest response to navigating waters where opinion (the name "PostgreSQL" is community
property)is distinctly different from fact (the word "PostgreSQL" is a registered trademark).  My suggestion, whether
youaccept it or not, is to formally resolve this before the next guy that is trying to be on the right side of the
communityand the law shows up.

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Сообщение: Re: Linux Seminar Sheffield UK - 2nd March 2005
Сообщение: Re: Linux Seminar Sheffield UK - 2nd March 2005