Re: [HACKERS] pg_ctl kill support for KILL signal was Re:[COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add test for postmaster crash restarts.

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: [HACKERS] pg_ctl kill support for KILL signal was Re:[COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add test for postmaster crash restarts.
Дата
Ответ на Re: [HACKERS] pg_ctl kill support for KILL signal was Re:[COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add test for postmaster crash restarts.  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Ответы Re: [HACKERS] pg_ctl kill support for KILL signal was Re:[COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add test for postmaster crash restarts.  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers

On 10/01/2017 04:48 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2017-10-01 16:42:44 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>>> I agree, but I think we need this discussed on -hackers. Does anyone
>>> have an objection to allowing "pg_ctl kill KILL somepid"? As Andres
>>> points out, in most places you can just call kill from the command line
>>> anyway, so disallowing it is not really a security feature. Having it
>>> would let us have portable crash restart tests.
>> +1 for portable tests, but it still seems like something we don't want
>> to encourage users to use.  What do you think of leaving it out of the
>> documentation?
> As far as I can tell we've not documented the set of acceptable signals
> anywhere but the source. I think we can just keep it that way?

As documented it's in the help text:
   printf(_("\nAllowed signal names for kill:\n"));   printf("  ABRT HUP INT QUIT TERM USR1 USR2\n");

So we can leave it out of there. OTOH I'm not a huge fan of security by
obscurity. I guess this wouldn't be too bad a case.

cheers

andrew