Re: BUG #17668: Query normalization generates multiple queryId:s for calls to the same procedure

От Alexey Ermakov
Тема Re: BUG #17668: Query normalization generates multiple queryId:s for calls to the same procedure
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Hello, I've seen possibly related case where that might be a problem.

PostgreSQL 12.8, pg_stat_statements.max=10000. There are queries like these:
insert into tablename (col1, ..., col28) values ($1, ..., $28), ...
($2605, ... , $2660) on conflict do nothing.

Problem is that not only we might insert different number of rows but
there might be many duplicates of the same exact query in
pg_stat_statements (userid and dbid are the same in all rows):

select md5(query), count(*), pg_size_pretty(sum(length(query))) from
pg_stat_statements
where query like 'insert into tablename%' group by 1 order by 2 desc
limit 10;

    md5    | count | pg_size_pretty
----------+-------+----------------
  170...84 |  1283 | 2679 kB
  906...53 |   897 | 1724 kB
  55e...78 |   676 | 12 MB
  ea4...ef |   642 | 11 MB
  944...0f |   629 | 11 MB
  04e...ec |   530 | 9138 kB
  572...27 |   476 | 8575 kB
  5ea...3c |   430 | 7331 kB
  be1...6c |   324 | 5704 kB
  f69...47 |   313 | 550 kB

There are 8 bigint columns in the table, I suspect that we might insert
into some of them values both greater and less than INT_MAX.
In result pg_stat_statements buffer is full of such queries (they take
9k rows out of 10k right now, 10h since pg_stat_statements_reset call),
currently total sum of query lengths is 117MB (97% of total sum).

 From monitoring perspective that might be a problem since calculating
metrics from pg_stat_statements became more expensive and we might lose
information about some queries when there is not enough space for them.

But I suppose such cases are pretty rare and some of them could be fixed
with COPY queries instead of inserts.

--
Thanks,
Alexey Ermakov