Re: [mail] Re: Big 7.4 items - Replication

От Al Sutton
Тема Re: [mail] Re: Big 7.4 items - Replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I see it as very difficult to avoid a two stage process because there will
be the following two parts to any transaction;

1) All databases must agree upon the acceptability of a transaction before
the client can be informed of it's success. 2) All databases must be
informed as to whether or not the transaction was accepted by the entire
replicant set, and thus whether it should be written to the database.

If stage1 is missed then the client application may be informed of a
sucessful transaction which may fail when it is replicated to other
databases.

If stage 2 is missed then databases may become out of sync because they have
accepted transactions that were rejected by other databases.

From reading the PDF on Postgres-R I can see that either one of two things
will occur;

a) There will be a central point of synchronization where conflicts will be
tested and delt with. This is not desirable because it will leave the
synchronization and replication processing load concentrated in one place
which will limit scaleability as well as leaving a single point of failure.

or

b) The Group Communication blob will consist of a number of processes which
need to talk to all of the others to interrogate them for changes which may
conflict with the current write that being handled and then issue the
transaction response. This is basically the two phase commit solution with
phases moved into the group communication process.

I can see the possibility of using solution b and having less group
communication processes than databases as attempt to simplify things, but
this would mean the loss of a number of databases if the machine running the
group communication process for the set of databases is lost.

Al.