Re: Compile/Link Error for Postgres 8.1.0 on Solaris 8

От Bhide, Rajan
Тема Re: Compile/Link Error for Postgres 8.1.0 on Solaris 8
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
man CC:
    -mt       Compile and link for multithreaded code.
               This option:
               o Passes -D_REENTRANT to the preprocessor
               o Passes -lthread in the correct order to ld
               o Ensures that, for standard mode (the default
                 mode), libthread is linked before libCrun
               o Ensures that, for compability mode (-compat),
                 libthread is linked before libC
               The -mt option is required if the application or
               libraries are multithreaded.
               Warnings:
               To ensure proper library linking order, you must
               use this option, rather than -lthread, to link
               with libthread.
               If you are using POSIX threads, you must link with
               the options -mt -lpthread.  The -mt option is
               necessary because libC (compatibility mode) and
               libCrun (standard mode) need libthread for a mul-
               tithreaded application.
               If you compile and link in separate steps and you
               compile with -mt, you might get unexpected
               results. If you compile one translation unit with
               -mt, compile all units of the program with -mt.
               If you are mixing parallel Fortran objects with
               C++ objects, the link line must specify the -mt
               flag.

For portability reasons, I am using Posix threads.
As pointed out by Alan, -D_REENTRANT is redundant which I will remove.

>>What version of the Sun compilers are you using here?
cc: Sun WorkShop 6 update 2 C 5.3 2001/05/15

I got cc: Sun C 5.7 2005/01/07 (Studio 10) installed on other box,so
would try this one with the options suggested.
The updated configure params are as under.

./configure --without-readline --enable-thread-safety
CFLAGS='-xinline=%auto,MemoryContextSwitchTo -xcrossfile -mt'
LDFLAGS='-lpthread' CC=/export/home/uxapps/workshop/SUNWspro/bin/cc

The main reason to use -mt options was to build thread safe PQ Client
Library.
We use Postgres mostly on Sparc v240 system with Solaris 8 and above.
The app demands very high performance and is very extensive db write
kind of.
As the latest Postgres version mentions about many performance
enhancement, we wanted to try before migrating to it.
I would be highly obliged if you guys have some performance figures or
benchmark results for Solaris environment. Could you please send
pointers to it.
If you have some input specific to compilation that too would be of much
help.

Thanks,
Rajan Bhide