Re: [HACKERS] dropping partitioned tables without CASCADE

От Amit Langote
Тема Re: [HACKERS] dropping partitioned tables without CASCADE
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2017/02/22 13:46, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
> Looks good to me. In the attached patch I have added a comment
> explaining the reason to make partition tables "Auto" dependent upon
> the corresponding partitioned tables.

Good call.

+    /*
+     * Unlike inheritance children, partition tables are expected to be dropped
+     * when the parent partitioned table gets dropped.
+     */

Hmm.  Partitions *are* inheritance children, so we perhaps don't need the
part before the comma.  Also, adding "automatically" somewhere in there
would be nice.

Or, one could just write: /* add an auto dependency for partitions */

> In the tests we are firing commands to drop partitioned table, but are
> not checking whether those tables or the partitions are getting
> dropped or not. Except for drop_if_exists.sql, I did not find that we
> really check this. Should we try a query on pg_class to ensure that
> the tables get really dropped?

I don't see why this patch should do it, if dependency.sql itself does
not?  I mean dropping AUTO dependent objects is one of the contracts of
dependency.c, so perhaps it would make sense to query pg_class in
dependency.sql to check if AUTO dependencies work correctly.

Thanks,
Amit