Re: Backup Question

От Shaun Thomas
Тема Re: Backup Question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> So you can grab the extra files, but you can't make it apply them,
> as you are telling it that it doesn't need to.

Do I have to, though? Replaying transaction logs is baked into the crash recovery system. If I interrupt it in the
middleof a checkpoint, it should be able to revert to the previous checkpoint that did succeed. By including the extra
WALfiles, it would re-apply them, just like in a crash recovery.

Of course, that only works if I interrupt it by shutting the replica down. By backing up across a checkpoint, I run the
riskof a race condition where some files were backed up before the checkpoint, and others afterwards. Which raises the
question:isn't that risk the same with a regular backup? The database doesn't just stop checkpointing because a backup
isin progress. There must be some internal detail I'm missing.

Either way, I'll add a routine to stall the standby backup until the restartpoint corresponding to the pg_start_backup
hasbeen replayed. I'll see if that helps.

Thanks!

--
Shaun Thomas
OptionsHouse | 141 W. Jackson Blvd | Suite 500 | Chicago IL, 60604