Re: PATCH: Using BRIN indexes for sorted output

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: PATCH: Using BRIN indexes for sorted output
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 7/11/23 13:20, Matthias van de Meent wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jul 2023 at 22:04, Tomas Vondra
> <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> On 7/10/23 18:18, Matthias van de Meent wrote:

>>> Yes, and because it's BRIN that's an approximation, which should
>>> generally be fine.
>>>

>> Approximation in what sense? My understanding was we'd get a range of
>> distances that we know covers all rows in that range. So the results
>> should be accurate, no?
>
> The distance is going to be accurate only to the degree that the
> summary can produce accurate distances for the datapoints it
> represents. That can be quite imprecise due to the nature of the
> contained datapoints: a summary of the points (-1, -1) and (1, 1) will
> have a minimum distance of 0 to the origin, where the summary (-1, 0)
> and (-1, 0.5) would have a much more accurate distance of 1.

Ummm, I'm probably missing something, or maybe my mental model of this
is just wrong, but why would the distance for the second summary be more
accurate? Or what does "more accurate" mean?

Is that about the range of distances for the summary? For the first
range the summary is a bounding box [(-1,1), (1,1)] so all we know the
points may have distance in range [0, sqrt(2)]. While for the second
summary it's [1, sqrt(1.25)].

> The point I was making is that the summary can only approximate the
> distance, and that approximation is fine w.r.t. the BRIN sort
> algoritm.

I think as long as the approximation (whatever it means) does not cause
differences in results (compared to not using an index), it's OK.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company