Re: Allow to_date() and to_timestamp() to accept localized names

От Mark Dilger
Тема Re: Allow to_date() and to_timestamp() to accept localized names
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> On Jan 28, 2020, at 9:30 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> A brute-force answer, if there are few enough cases, is to recognize
> them regardless of the specific value of LC_TIME.  Do we think
> anybody would notice or care if to_date('Sonnabend', 'TMDay') works
> even when in a non-German locale?

I think this only becomes a problem if there are weekday or month name collisions between languages where they have
differentmeanings.  As an absurd hypothetical, if “Sunday” in Tagalog means what “Tuesday” means in English, then
you’vegot a problem.

This does happen for month abbreviations.  “Mar” is short for “March” and variations in a number of languages, but
shortfor “November” in Finnish.

For day abbreviations, “Su” collides between fi_FI and hr_HR, and “tor” collides between sl_SL and no_NO.

I don’t see any collisions with full month or full weekday names, but I’m also only looking at the 53 locales installed
in/usr/share/locale/.*/LC_TIME on my mac.

—
Mark Dilger
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company