Re: Why does the PL/pgSQL compiler do this?

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Why does the PL/pgSQL compiler do this?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On 10/31/2016 04:32 PM, Michael Moore wrote:
> I'm still a bit confused. If I replace the ROLLBACK; command with
> ELEPHANT; the result is a syntax error. Why doesn't ROLLBACK; produce
> the same error since it is not valid in the LANGUAGE plpgsql.  I
> understand that "ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT" IS valid. But it's not the same
> thing.

I am guessing this:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/plpgsql-implementation.html
" A disadvantage is that errors in a specific expression or command
cannot be detected until that part of the function is reached in
execution. (Trivial syntax errors will be detected during the initial
parsing pass, but anything deeper will not be detected until execution.)"

ROLLBACK might actually be valid at some point, ELEPHANT will not so it
caught in the trivial error stage.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: Why does the PL/pgSQL compiler do this?
Сообщение: Re: Why does the PL/pgSQL compiler do this?