Re: How to shoot yourself in the foot: kill -9 postmaster

От Vadim Mikheev
Тема Re: How to shoot yourself in the foot: kill -9 postmaster
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I have spent several days now puzzling over the corrupted WAL logfile
> that Scott Parish was kind enough to send me from a 7.1beta4 crash.
> It looks a lot like two different series of transactions were getting
> written into the same logfile.  I'd been digging like mad in the WAL
> code to try to explain this as a buffer-management logic error, but
> after a fresh exchange of info it turns out that I was barking up the
> wrong tree.

Sorry about that. This is the same situation I was in myself couple
of times and "fresh exchange of info" was saving too -:)
Anyway it's good to know that it wasn't buffer/etc logic error -:)
(Actually, logs from you looked sooo grave so it becomes unclear
how WAL worked at all -:).

Nevertheless, subj is rised. BTW, does anybody know results of kill -9
in Oracle/Informix/etc? Just curious -:)

Vadim