Re: [HACKERS] Updated TODO list

От Gene Sokolov
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Updated TODO list
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
From: Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>
> > > Doing the random salt over the wire would still be a problem.
> >
> > There is absolutely no technical problem with storing hashed passwords
and
> > still sending salted hash over the wire. It was recently discussed in
detail
> > in "Hashing passwords" thread in pgsql-hackers list.
>
> But you are hashing it with a secret known by the database adminstrator,
Yes, DB admin can gain useable info.

> and someone knows any password, like their own, can guess the secret by
> looking at the hashed version, no?

No. Not any password, <master value> only. SHA or MD5 hash is one-way. There
are many schemes. What I proposed is just one solution. Others may propose
something better.

Here are my thoughts:
1. Yes, database admin can compromise security of the whole installation, no
matter what security scheme is selected.
2. Even if database admin can compromise security, I would rather opt for a
better security scheme, rather then give up completely.
3. When you enter your password at any login prompt, the password either
appears as *** or does not appear at all. Why do you think it is done this
way? Same applies to select * from pg_shadow.
4. Storing hashes instead of plain text passwords would divert all casual
and "peek over the shoulder" hackers. It's two really different tasks -
memorizing a password or memorizing 24 random-looking bytes of a base64 hash
presentation.
6. People tend to reuse passwords. Getting one password helps to get other
passwords too.
7. I do not understand why it's so important to keep passwords in plain
text. Just a simple hash would help a lot.

Gene Sokolov.