Re: Build-farm - intermittent error in 031_column_list.pl

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: Build-farm - intermittent error in 031_column_list.pl
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 5/20/22 05:58, Amit Kapila wrote:

>> Wow. I didin't thought that line. That theory explains the silence and
>> makes sense even though I don't see LSN transistions that clearly
>> support it.  I dimly remember a similar kind of problem..

>>> If the above theory is correct then I think allowing the publisher to
>>> catch up with "$node_publisher->wait_for_catchup('sub1');" before
>>> ALTER SUBSCRIPTION should fix this problem. Because if before ALTER
>>> both publisher and subscriber are in sync then the new publication
>>> should be visible to WALSender.
>>
>> It looks right to me.
>>

> Let's wait for Tomas or others working in this area to share their thoughts.

Are we really querying the publications (in get_rel_sync_entry) using
the historical snapshot? I haven't really realized this, but yeah, that
might explain the issue.

The new TAP test does ALTER SUBSCRIPTION ... SET PUBLICATION much more
often than any other test (there are ~15 calls, 12 of which are in this
new test). That might be why we haven't seen failures before. Or maybe
the existing tests simply are not vulnerable to this, because they
either do wait_for_catchup late enough or don't do any DML right before
executing SET PUBLICATION.

>>  That timetravel seems inintuitive but it's the
>> (current) way it works.
>>

> I have thought about it but couldn't come up with a good way to change
> the way currently it works. Moreover, I think it is easy to hit this
> in other ways as well. Say, you first create a subscription with a
> non-existent publication and then do operation on any unrelated table
> on the publisher before creating the required publication, we will hit
> exactly this problem of "publication does not exist", so I think we
> may need to live with this behavior and write tests carefully.

Yeah, I think it pretty much requires ensuring the subscriber is fully
caught up with the publisher, otherwise ALTER SUBSCRIPTION may break the
replication in an unrecoverable way (actually, you can alter the
subscription and remove the publication again, right?).

But this is not just about tests, of course - the same issue applies to
regular replication. That's a bit unfortunate, so maybe we should think
about making this less fragile.

We might make sure the subscriber is not lagging (essentially the
wait_for_catchup) - which the users will have to do anyway (although
maybe they know the publisher is beyond the LSN where it was created).

The other option would be to detect such case, somehow - if you don't
see the publication yet, see if it exists in current snapshot, and then
maybe ignore this error. But that has other issues (the publication
might have been created and dropped, in which case you won't see it).
Also, we'd probably have to ignore RelationSyncEntry for a while, which
seems quite expensive.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra