Re: Vacuum error message

От Raymond McKolay
Тема Re: Vacuum error message
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
> I moved the files to the desktop of the server [...] and the same
> error message still comes up.

>I'm not sure what you mean by "moved" -- the point was to copy the contents of the files so that you could determine
whetherthe OS could read all the pages in the file.  Under >some definitions of "move" you would only have touched the
directoryentries for the files, which wouldn't give us the information we were looking for.

I took the files from the directory they were in and changed the path.
I guess I don't understand how to copy the contents of the file to accomplish what you are asking.
I presumed that by changing the path of the files the vacuum operation would either skip them or error out saying that
theywere missing.
Could you help with that please?

> Do I need more free space on the server than what the size of the DB
> is in order to Vacuum the DB?

>A normal vacuum of the database doesn't require much (if any) disk space.  VACUUM FULL is another story, but you
probablydon't want to go there.

I am pretty sure that a vacuum full is eventually what needs to happen since the DB contains useless records and I need
thedisk space given back to the OS.
But then again I'm no expert with postgres so I am only guessing.

Ray