Re: Optimize expresiions.

От Adam Rich
Тема Re: Optimize expresiions.
Список pgsql-general

    From atable where cheap_function(item) > 0 ) sub

From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2007 4:59 AM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] Optimize expresiions.

);
and a view:
create view aview as select
  item,
  very_expensive_function(item) as exp,
  cheap_function(item) as cheap
from atable;

Now the query:
select item from aview where exp > 0 and cheap > 0;
will lead to a sequential scan on atable with filter:
very_expensive_function(item) > 0 and cheap_function(item) > 0

The query would run much faster with the filter reordered.
Is there a way to tell the planner/optimizer that certain functions are
more
expensive than others, and should be postponed in lazy evaluation ?
Or is there a hook in the system that would allow me too look at and
maybe
reorder expressions before they are executed ?

Cheers,

Han Holl

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq