Re: 20th anniversary of PostgreSQL ?

От Damien Clochard
Тема Re: 20th anniversary of PostgreSQL ?
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
Hey guys,

I'm ressurecting this old thread with hope that the timing is right now.

So if we consider that the date of "birth" of PostgreSQL is 22/10/1996,
that leaves us a few month to organize something.

I really think it'd be nice to use this event to promote PostgreSQL and
try to reach a larger audience.

Here's a quick tour of how other community have celebrated their
anniversary :

The Linux Foundation made video and a nice infographic:
http://content.linuxfoundation.org/20th/

Wikipedia just made a nice website
https://15.wikipedia.org/

Mozilla bought a bus:
http://mozbus-en.tumblr.com/post/102248099620/firefox-10th-anniversary-in-tokyo

(If you have other examples, please post it here)

While buying a bus may not be a great idea, I think we can get some
inspirations from what other communities did. In particular, I think we
could :

- define a celebration week or a celebrating month, and let local user
group and comapnies organize their own event

- define a common logo and a common twitter hastag (#Postgres20 ? )

- Create a poster

And If we want to go beyond that, I think creating a dedicated website
would be nice. Actually I really like what wikipedia has done, which is
basically creating user interaction by asking "What does Wikipedia means
to you ?". I think we go follow the same path and ask our user base "Why
do love PostgreSQL", with the possibility give their name and the
company they work for... That'd be a nice way to collect a great amout
of quotes, which is something we miss a lot a think.

Of course there's many things we can do. These are just ideas I'm
throwing here...

--
Damien Clochard